Male Nurse in 2021
Male nurse and nursing in 2020 –
Since the field is predominately female, I thought I would share my perspectives working as a male nurse.
– Working as a bedside nurse you definitely see a lot of patients who quite ill. A lot of them do not really care who you are and what you are, they just wanted to be treated and feel better. – With that being said there is the rare occasion where you get patients who make comments to you –
○ For example I get stuff like:
§ Why didn’t you become a doctor?
§ You could’ve become a doctor you are so smart..
– Other times I get comments from fellow nurses as well. In my floor specifically, I have a lot of nurse colleagues who are male, so it is interesting sometimes we get nurses from different floors coming for certain supplies saying:
○ Wow all male nurses today, that’s so interesting..
– So what I would say it is different for a male to be a nurse, and there is recognition you get for it whether that is good or bad is up to you… I just know that I love what I do and that is the only thing that matters to me!